Wednesday, March 6, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

My family is one who celebrates birthdays...especially those of that are somehow "important". Of course, that means the usual big deal ones of youth...16, 18, 21 etc. And then the decade celebrations--30, 40, 50...(and speaking of, I am taking suggestions for next January 11!) So when my grandfather--Mom's dad--hit 90, the DeKocks celebrated. I remember it because it was two months before my wedding. We had a great dinner at a restaurant in Valpo and took lots of pictures. For the first time in many, many years, all of my grandfather's grandchildren were there. Grandpa had four daughters, who between them had eleven children. Five years later we had a hog roast in the backyard of his house.

So despite Mom's cancer, her 80th birthday was an event to celebrate. She had gone to Florida for the month of January to try to escape the wonderful Indiana cold. She and her sisters rented a house and went about basking in the sun. My sister and I and our significant dudes (husband and "boy"friend-ugh) were there as well. We went to a lovely seafood restaurant and celebrated the family matriarch.

Well imagine my surprise when last week Mom started asking where everyone was. This came after she tottered out of her bedroom, sans walker causing my sister, brother-in-law and I to come running, smiling and happy. She came to sit on the couch, and enjoyed looking around. The chaplain from hospice appeared soon after, and Mom enjoyed talking with him. She told the chaplain I had taken her money and ran away to Ireland last year. I reminded her I ran back home. Throughout the conversation, Mom seemed to be enjoying the company of others, including standing to look outside in the back yard and waving animatedly to Helen. As she looked around, she noted "this is better than what we had for Dad!" I wasn't certain if that was the hog roast year or the restaurant year, but she decided this party was definitely the bomb.

Eventually she made it back to her room and took a nice long nap. My sister and brother-in-law were on duty and I went home. Apparently I missed the party of the century. She was up at midnight, having the time of her life. She was even singing Happy Birthday to herself. For years Mom has had us convinced she can't carry a tune in a bucket. However, Bill says she actually had a great voice. 

Today Mom's celebrations all seem to be pretty internal. Her breathing is more shallow. She has said very little to us...and at times has not recognized us. The celebrations here on earth will be lacking without her, but the ones in which she will partake will soon eclipse the one she had by herself and those with my grandfather.

Party on Mom!

2 comments:

  1. While sad..you are writing such a lovely journal during a bittersweet time. You brought tears to my eyes, Di. Stay strong, my friend. Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jodi. I still have that Emmaus shirt to get to you...

    ReplyDelete